Thoughts, stories, and ideas from Sensei Steve Gottwirt

Thoughts, stories, and ideas from                  Sensei Steve Gottwirt
Some of these thoughts, stories, and personal history appeared in our newsletter, "Dō Gakuin News". Few members have been with us since our first issue in 1993. As such, ideas on this page may have been printed before, but are worth telling again.

Monday, November 10, 2014

Monday 11/10/14- starting for home

Woke up this morning at Sensei Bowden's beach house, 'The Manor', cleaned myself up, packed my bags and came out to voices in the den. Shihan John Egan came over. Seems Sensei Bowden is starting Shihan Egan on his way home to California after dropping me off at the bus stop. We had nice conversation before leaving 9:30am for my 10:30 bus. I had prepared a 'thank you' card for Sensei Bowden's hospitality, put some money inside so he and wife Gerry could go out to dinner for his birthday. Saying good-bye at the bus stop, Shihan Egan showed me the 'official' California bow/hug between friends: bow, left step forward, grasp right forearms, and left hand on the back. It seems we bonded.

Paul, a green belt from Georgia, was taking the same bus to Tallahassee as I. He's a nice, simple kid in his early 20s and his company was welcome. I went on solo once he transferred to the Macon bus. The trip itself was uneventful, other than following the homeward-bound progress of our NJ and CA friends and lots of photos posted on Facebook by many friends. Sensei Bowden called me at 6:30pm to say he and wife Gerry just finished his birthday dinner at Mama's Italian Family Restaurant, and he thanked me. With stops and layovers, I was on my way to Savannah as Monday ended. Oh, and yes, my knees and hips hurt a lot.

No comments: