Thoughts, stories, and ideas from Sensei Steve Gottwirt

Thoughts, stories, and ideas from                  Sensei Steve Gottwirt
Some of these thoughts, stories, and personal history appeared in our newsletter, "Dō Gakuin News". Few members have been with us since our first issue in 1993. As such, ideas on this page may have been printed before, but are worth telling again.

Thursday, November 6, 2014

Tora no Maki weekend

Taking a cue from Jerry Saravia, our Black Belt who kept a daily log on his cross-country bicycle trip this summer, I decided to write a post each day of my Florida adventure for
the Tora no Maki Challenge and special training.

I booked my trip with Greyhound. What?! Not flying?? Sadly, when you're broke and have time on your hands, the bus is the way to go.

My day started Wednesday with the 8:56am L.I.R.R. train to Penn Station, then a short walk to the Port Authority. Said 'hello' to the statue of Ralph Kramden (Hiya, Ralphie boy!) and boarded the 11:00am bus to Richmond VA. 1/2 hour rest stop in Baltimore, then changed buses making stops in Raleigh and Fayetteville NC. Changed buses again and stopped in Savannah GA.

Having fun? Whoopee! I did get a text saying the dojo had a great class without me :-( They worked all kicks, including crescents, hook, wheel,and spinning kicks, then worked kata from Bassai on up. Good turnout, too. Black Belts Abrams, Frank, Kamhi, Saravia (that's what reminded me to make this entry), Conanan, and blue belt Edvin Cruz. Maybe I should get outta town more often.

No comments: