Thoughts, stories, and ideas from Sensei Steve Gottwirt

Thoughts, stories, and ideas from                  Sensei Steve Gottwirt
Some of these thoughts, stories, and personal history appeared in our newsletter, "Dō Gakuin News". Few members have been with us since our first issue in 1993. As such, ideas on this page may have been printed before, but are worth telling again.

Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Shu-Ha-Ri - Entering my 50th year of 'mastery'


Yesterday was my 49th anniversary in the martial arts.  Some may ask how anal I am to remember the exact date.  Yes, I am anal about certain things, but I kept a training log at my first Tae Kwon Do dojang.  I came across it years later when moving and noticed that my brother Rick married Rita on December 13, 1970.  Now I can never forget the date; it's my brother and sister-in-law's anniversary, just 3 years earlier.

A couple of people mentioned shu-ha-ri to my 'mastery' of Karate.  Does 49 years indicate a certain level of mastery, or just too stubborn to quit?  So what is shu-ha-ri?  There are slightly different interpretations, but it basically means:

SHU: Learn the rules.  Follow your instructor's teaching as closely as possible.
HA: Bend or break the rules.  See what works for you.
RI: Leave the rule.  Personalize your Karate to your specific body type.

I believe a martial artist is like a shark - you must continually move forward or you will drown.  Are there any 'new' Shotokan techniques for me to learn?  Probably not at this point.  So what's new for me?  As one ages, the body is less responsive than it was in youth.  No surprise here.  I now move forward by adapting my techniques to work as well as possible with an aging body.  This is not a negative thing.  Many people have the unfortunate misconception that Karate is that adorable activity a 4-year-old does, or an acrobatically demanding activity that is only for teens and young adults.  Karate is for all ages: older adults benefit from exercise, flexibility, balance, coordination, stamina, improved health, self-defense - all while learning a traditional art form.  


This past summer's Olympics in Rio saw older trainers with their young international competitors.  The trainers may not be physically able to perform techniques as well as their young athletes, but they can coach their athletes to greatness.  I have had the good fortune to teach/coach/train some wonderful students, many of whom became tournament champions and grand champions.  Several have entered the military or joined law enforcement where their Karate training has proved invaluable.  They have become highly respected in the martial arts community.  This is where I feel, if not mastery, my many years in the martial arts has been a success.


As I enter my 50th year of martial arts today, I add another foreign phrase to this blog entry:
וי! ... Oy!

No comments: